Free Initial Consultation · 24 / 7

Remove an Old Restraining Order Sussex County NJ

File a Motion to Have an Old Restraining Order Lifted With Our Lawyers

How to remove old restraining order on me in NJ

Remove old restraining order NJ

Do you need to get rid of an old restraining order in New Jersey? You need to file a motion in the county in which it was entered and prove to the Judge that there has been a significant change in circumstances and the restraining order is no longer necessary. We can help.

We were hired in 2018 to remove an old restraining order for a client in Sussex County who had been living with this issue since 2003. He and his ex-girlfriend had a child together and they were arguing and had a bad break up. A judge issued a final restraining order against him.

Now, he lives in Nebraska and has had no contact with the alleged victim in 15 years. He is happily married to another woman and wishes no ill will on his ex or their child. During the 15 years in which this restraining order is in place, the defendant never contacted the victim or her family and thus has never been charged with violating the restraining order. The defendant is employed and is attempting to further his education and the final restraining order (FRO) may limit his ability to do that.

How do I remove an old Restraining Order in Sussex County?

We filed a motion to have this permanent restraining order removed. We submitted a legal brief and certification of our client detailing all of the reasons he wants and needs to have this restraining order lifted. The plaintiff objected, which is her legal right to do so. She claimed that she is still in fear of the defendant and wants the restraining order to remain in place.

After reviewing all of the written submissions and hearing the oral arguments of counsel as well as testimony from both parties, the Judge granted our motion and dismissed the restraining order. Our client was ecstatic with this result and the services provided by our law firm.

Old Restraining Order against me in Newton? Contact Us

If you or a loved one needs assistance removing an old restraining order in New Jersey, contact our offices anytime for immediate assistance. The initial consultation is always provided free of charge.

Visit Our Offices

With offices in Hackensack, Morristown, Newark, Middletown, and New Brunswick, our lawyers can represent you anywhere in New Jersey and are available immediately to assist you at (908)-336-5008

Hackensack / Bergen County

254 State Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601

  • 201-556-1570
  • 201-556-1572
Hackensack Office

Morristown / Morris County

60 Washington St Suite 200A,
Morristown, NJ 07960

  • 908-336-5008
  • 201-556-1572
Morristown Office

Newark / Essex County

1 Gateway Center Suite 2600
Newark, NJ 07102

  • 201-654-3464
  • 201-556-1572
Newark Office

for a free initial consultation Contact the Tormey Law Firm

Travis J. Tormey is a distinguished member of the legal community and a respected legal resource on domestic violence. He has been featured in a variety of prominent publications and media outlets, including CBS radio, Aol News, the Asbury Park Press,, and the Daily Record. Mr. Tormey has also been recognized as one of the the top criminal attorneys under 40 years of age by the National Trial Lawyers Association and the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys. Whether representing victims or the wrongly accused, Travis remains passionately committed to protecting the rights of the innocent.

Areas we serve

The Tormey Law Firm LLC handles restraining order cases in Bergen County (Hackensack), Morris County (Morristown), Passaic County (Paterson), Union County (Elizabeth), Hudson County (Jersey City), Middlesex County (New Brunswick), Somerset County (Somerville), Sussex County (Newton), Essex County (Newark), Hunterdon County (Flemington), Mercer County (Trenton), Monmouth County (Freehold), Warren County (Belvidere), Ocean County (Toms River), Burlington County (Mount Holly), and throughout NJ.

Tell us how we can help

Contacting our office does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please do not share any confidential information until such a relationship has been established.