Free Initial Consultation · 24 / 7

The Tormey Law Firm Restraining Order Handbook Part 2: How do I get a temporary restraining order (TRO) in New Jersey?

Union County Domestic Violence Lawyers in Elizabeth, New Jersey

How do I get a temporary restraining order?

NJ Domestic Violence Lawyers

How do I file a temporary restraining order in New Jersey? There are a couple of ways to obtain a temporary restraining order in NJ, one is through the court and one is through the police department (who will contact the court).

Domestic violence situations can be very stressful and difficult to deal with on your own because not only have you been victimized but now you also need to navigate the New Jersey courts system. If you are a victim of domestic violence and want to get a restraining order, the experienced domestic violence attorneys at the Tormey Law Firm are available to explain the process to you and help you with obtaining a temporary restraining order.

Here is a five star review from one of our many satisfied restraining order clients:

“What can I say that hasn’t already been driven home in all of the other reviews about Travis. I’m a young professional and was served a vindicative Temp. Restraining Order from an Ex. As someone who has never been involved with law or the courts, I was understandably pretty nervous regardless, considering this is something that could appear on a background check for future employment. As soon as I met with Travis all those nerves and fears drifted away. Travis was able to successfully get the TRO dismissed without even going to a trial, and i am truly thankful for Travis and his confidence and savviness when it pertains to the law. Will reccomend him to anyone who requires a knowledgable and down to earth Attorney.”

How do I get a Temporary Restraining Order?

Victims of domestic violence in New Jersey can obtain a temporary restraining order in one of two ways: either at the County Superior Court or at the local police department, depending on where and when the restraining order is sought. That is, the temporary restraining order must be filed in the appropriate county of venue based upon where one of the parties resides or the location at which the act of domestic violence took place. For example, if a boyfriend and girlfriend live together in Morristown, and the boyfriend assaults the girlfriend while they are in Jersey City, the girlfriend can obtain a temporary restraining order in either Morris County or Hudson County. No matter the method or venue in which you choose to file a temporary restraining order, the knowledgeable restraining order attorneys at the Tormey Law Firm are ready to help walk you through the process, step-by-step.

As long as you have standing to file temporary restraining order, you have two options to get a protective order. The first way to file for a temporary restraining order is to go to the County Superior Court in which you or the perpetrator resides, or where the act of domestic violence took place. Every County Superior Court in the state of New Jersey has staff dedicated to domestic violence cases. You can go to the County Superior Court anytime between 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, to file a temporary restraining order. During nights, weekends, or holidays, you can go to your local police department to obtain a temporary restraining order. If you go to the County Superior Court to get a temporary restraining order, you will meet with domestic violence hearing officer who will determine if there is sufficient evidence to present your case to a Family Court judge. Then, after meeting with the intake officer, you will proceed to the temporary restraining order hearing in front of the Family Court judge. The Judge will ask questions about the act of domestic violence and any history of domestic violence. If you go to the police department, the police will take the information regarding the incident and then contact a municipal court judge to conduct the temporary restraining order hearing, usually by teleconference.

In either circumstance, whether you go to the police department or County Superior Court, it is very important to be prepared with the details and proofs of the domestic violence incident. For example, it is helpful to have documentary or other evidence of the incident such as emails, text messages, social media posts, or photographs. It is also important to consult with an experienced restraining order attorney who has helped victims of domestic violence obtain temporary restraining orders in the past.

Contact the Union County Domestic Violence Lawyers at the Tormey Law Firm Now

If you have been victimized and want to get a temporary restraining order, contact the knowledgeable restraining order attorneys that the Tormey Law Firm today to discuss your case and develop your case strategy. We always provide free initial consultations at (908)-336-5008.

Visit Our Offices

With offices in Hackensack, Morristown, Newark, Middletown, and New Brunswick, our lawyers can represent you anywhere in New Jersey and are available immediately to assist you at (908)-336-5008

Hackensack / Bergen County

254 State Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601

  • 201-556-1570
  • 201-556-1572
Hackensack Office

Morristown / Morris County

60 Washington St Suite 200A,
Morristown, NJ 07960

  • 908-336-5008
  • 201-556-1572
Morristown Office

Newark / Essex County

1 Gateway Center Suite 2600
Newark, NJ 07102

  • 201-654-3464
  • 201-556-1572
Newark Office

for a free initial consultation Contact the Tormey Law Firm

Travis J. Tormey is a distinguished member of the legal community and a respected legal resource on domestic violence. He has been featured in a variety of prominent publications and media outlets, including CBS radio, Aol News, the Asbury Park Press,, and the Daily Record. Mr. Tormey has also been recognized as one of the the top criminal attorneys under 40 years of age by the National Trial Lawyers Association and the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys. Whether representing victims or the wrongly accused, Travis remains passionately committed to protecting the rights of the innocent.

Areas we serve

The Tormey Law Firm LLC handles restraining order cases in Bergen County (Hackensack), Morris County (Morristown), Passaic County (Paterson), Union County (Elizabeth), Hudson County (Jersey City), Middlesex County (New Brunswick), Somerset County (Somerville), Sussex County (Newton), Essex County (Newark), Hunterdon County (Flemington), Mercer County (Trenton), Monmouth County (Freehold), Warren County (Belvidere), Ocean County (Toms River), Burlington County (Mount Holly), and throughout NJ.

Tell us how we can help

Contacting our office does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please do not share any confidential information until such a relationship has been established.